Re: OT: Flash on (Linux-Based) Samsung SmartTV

On 21/12/16 08:01, Tim Evans wrote:
I'm trying to long-distance-coach a tech-challenged friend on using his Samsung SmartTV's web browser to view content his Cable TV service doesn't carry. (This is not trying to get around stuff without paying--the content, out of area sports, FWIW, is freely available to watch on his PC.)

When he tries to access the content with the Samsung-embedded browser, he gets an immediate prompt to upgrade Flash. Following the offered links allows access to what is labeled as "Linux" rpm and/or tgz versions, neither of which will install on the TV. So, the content won't load.

While I've suggest he do a general upgrade of the TV firmware, in hopes there's a usable Flash upgrade included, I'm thinking of pointing him in a different direction--say, a ChromeCast.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
My Samsung Smart TV has a Screen Mirroring Option in its devices list provided when pressing 'Source' on the remote. When this option is invoked it provides instructions to go to the Samsung Web Site to download an App for your PC to enable the PC's output to be mirrored on the TV (assuming the TV and PC are both network connected, but not necessarily directly connected to each other). If your friend's Smart TV has that option that may be a viable workaround to the flash upgrade option. My experience with flash on Linux is similar to what you are experiencing on the TV, and in most situations, installing the rpm pointed to makes no difference to the issue. I believe that the problem is not that the version of flash available for Linux doesn't work, its that the web sites in question are looking for a minimum flash version relative to whats available in a Windows environment, and because the Linux flash versions have a lower version number, the site refuses to play the content, whereas if they ignored the version number and just served up the content it would probably play quite happily in what is available for Linux.

regards,
Steve