Re: Can a second F25 be installed on the same machine?

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Mayavimmer <mayavimmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/01/2017 18:39, Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> This isn't _forbidden_, but it also isn't something we test offically —
>>> and in fact I'm not sure if anyone has actually tested it ever.
>>
>> I do manual installs like that regularly. Hence the earlier requests
>> for details.
>>
>> The original post doesn't give enough details. I could have answered
>> "yes" to the $subject, and yet there might be installation scenarios
>> where the installer fails. More details needed!
>
> As soon as I can. I already gave some details in the other sister
> threads yesterday.
>

>>> So, while I don't see why it couldn't be made to work, I also am not
>>> surprised to hear it doesn't.
>>
>> It's the opposite here. I'm surprised manual partitioning would fail. If
>> you point the installer at usable partitions for / and /boot, why would it
>> fail?
>
> Same exact sentiment, sir. It's ok if the poor little AI in the
> installer can't hack complexity, but don't mess with my sacrosanct right
> to manually override everything.

Well you really only get a true manual override with CLI installation.
Any function in a GUI installer requires coding. Manual overrides
involve some of the most complex coding, error handling, and sanity
checks, with a very high degree of liability that I think it's not
worth any GUI installer having such capability. The most reliable
installer examples have essentially no options, and definitely nothing
that really looks like a manual override such as what Anaconda offers.

And yet they'll do what you're asking for.

A literal manual override for everything is highly overrated, and with
all the installer testing and bug filing I've done and looking at
myriad use cases, it's just not worth it. It'd have been easier to
just have a bunch of use case pop-ups for automatic partitioning
presets.

--
Chris Murphy