Re: Most system update requires system reboot or session restart

Sudhir Khanger:
>> On my weekly update I notice that I am almost always required to either
>> restart the session or reboot the system. Both of these options are
>> unacceptable because they require closing 10-15 apps and restarting
>> them. That's unnecessary hassle and loss in productivity.

Bryon Adams:
> You don't HAVE to reboot, but some of the updated applications require
> unloading an loading again. Wouldn't the easy solution be to reboot once
> you're done with work for the week? I personally don't know why people
> leave their computers on forever if it's not a server but that's just
> me. I turn my computer off when I'm done with it.

The "easy solution" always depends on who's point of view it is.
Programmers like the easiest solution of doing what they want, and let
the user put up with the consequences.  Users prefer things to be less
intrusive.

I'm used to having to reboot for things like kernels and base things for
your computer (graphics, etc.), but not for anything else.  Having to
reboot is a time waster, shut down isn't that quick, start-up is longer,
and the interruptions to what I'm doing are annoying.

I'm used to not having to reboot for ordinary software.  I'm used to it
carrying on working during an update, though firefox was one exception
(it usually grinds to a halt and requires quitting and restarting).  I'm
used to the idea that if a program has been updated that I'm in the
middle of using, that it's going to need quitting and restarting to use
the new updated version, but not actually having to do that until I
want.  e.g. I've carried on word processing while the software is
getting updated.

It's one of the major advantages I've had with Linux against other
operating systems, that updates will happen in the background, and
rarely with any annoying consequences.  Windows, on the other hand, and
even Mac, I'm annoyingly used to any update cycle wasting an hour or
more of my time, as the computer is either too thrashed by the update
process to use it for my own purposes at the same time, or highly likely
to need rebooting while I'm in the middle of doing things.  Sometimes,
it'll unceremoniously reboot, while I'm doing things.  And there'll be
another prolonged pause while it boots up that you can't do anything
with it while it fiddles with itself.  Once I watched the entire film,
and extras, of Dr Zhivago (a damn long film), while Windows did its
business.  The computer was unusable during almost the entirety of that
process, and you wouldn't want to try and use it for the few minutes
that it let you.

Leaving that to some time I don't want to use the computer, presumes
that I have the spare time to babysit the computer, while I have other
things to do.

Linux is *not* Windows, don't go down that route.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

The internet, your opportunity to learn from other peoples' mistakes.