Re: Set defaut app based on file extension?

On 11/29/2016 10:15 PM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 29 November 2016, Stuart McGraw sent:
>> How can I tell my desktop (fedora-23/xfce4) to use Emacs to open
>> any file with a ".org" extension?  Everything I've found on the
>> internet seems to set an application based on mimetype but ".org"
>> files are seen as "text/plain" (at least by the 'file' program)
>> and I don't want to open all text files with Emacs, just ".org"
>> ones.  Thanks...
>
> I suppose that really depends on how you're opening them.  If your
> filemanager handles your desktop, it may be configurable to that degree.
> Some of them seem to care more about the extension than the description,
> or at least treat extensions as individually configurable sub-divisions.
> Though it may be possible to create an extra mimetype just for those
> files (e.g. call it text/something-else).
>
> If you're talking about files coming straight from a web browser or
> email client, then the supplied (not your own) mimetype description may
> well take priority.
>
> What do you get as right-click options for such files?  Is there an
> open-with type of thing, or a properties box that lets you set up
> your .org files with their own special defaults?

Thanks for your reply and sorry, I should have been clearer, I meant
open by double-clicking on the file in a file manager (Xfce's thunar
or Gnome's nautilus). They both seem to use the same mechanism: if I
change the app for a .org file in either thunar or nautilus to emacs,
both will open the file in emacs.  But both will then open any "text"
file, regardless of extension, with emacs.

The right-click menu has whatever I've set the default app to at the
top and "open with" below that.  And "open with" is how I currently
manually open .org files today but it is a little inconvenient.

I'd like a double-click to open .org files with emacs and any other
"text" files with gedit as before.

Is there any way to accomplish this?