Re: Fedora mobile app

Sudhir D:
>> We have fedora mobile app that is intended to keep you closer to latest
>> happenings in the fedora land. Try it out
>> (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fedoraqa.fedora) and
>> give feedback.

Joe Zeff:
> Why does it need to be able to modify or delete your photos, media and
> other files in USB storage?

So it can hack you?

Or, it's just programmed by security-unconcious people, who think it's
simpler to state their program (erroneously) needs access to everything,
and sheeple will just let it.

I've steered clear of tablets and smart phones, because I just don't see
the need for them in my life, but recently had to deal with one because
my mother wanted one (for no good reason, either).  Just about every app
you might use/install claims it wants, or will get, access to your
contacts, is able to make calls, a whole list of things that it just
will not actually need to do for whatever it's actual purpose is.  Even
more galling is that you don't get options to block the accesses that
you don't like, they're just a list of its demands.  You either install
it and allow it to rummage through everything, or you don't install it.
Them's your choices.

Quite frankly, something like a crossword puzzle app, for example,
stating that it needs access to your microphone, all your photos and
stored files, and your contact list, ought to be something that blocks
it from ever being allowed into their appstore.  But the appstores for
these devices are completely inadequate in their vetting.

I can't say that I noticed any "report this app" links in the appstores
that I've looked at for friend's computing devices (tablets, Apple,
Android, etc.).  As far as I'm concerned, there ought to be a simple
procedure that allows you to report apps, and be able to state such
things as the program demanded access to things that it shouldn't be
allowed to.  With sufficient checks against malicious false reporting,
such as program competitors and internet trolls, that kind of report
ought to result in the app being blacklisted.  The programmer then being
faced with having to reprogram (without gratuitous permission demands on
the user's devices) and resubmit it.

Though the entire appstore experience has been appalling to me,
including things like Linux software library equivalents.  Searching for
something often results in a gazillion barely-related items.  The
results give you inadequate information about the app so that you could
make an informed decision about whether it will do what you want, how
easy it might be to use, etc.  With the appstores, it's very hard to
tell what's free, adware infested, etc.  And with the Linux repos, many
of the websites listed in the data about a package are dead links, or
lead to some useless github type website (it's just a list of the
package and files, there's nothing for you to read about the program, no
instructions, no manual, nothing).  It strikes me that submitted
packages need to be active, and have adequate documentation, before
they're allowed to be included.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

I reserve the right to be as hypocritical as the next person.