Re: Backing up the OS - Re: Rebuilding a failing drive

A couple of things that might work.
I have maintained the g4l disk imaging project since 2004, and it's main
options use dd to either clone a disk/partition or make an image file, but it
would also have issues with bad sectors. But I have sometimes found that
booting to it rather than the running OS, does allow it to sometimes make
images with no issues, but that is rare.

A second option. The g4l also includes fsarchiver program, which I added at
the request of a user. It is not a program that I've written, and only used it a
few times to confirm that it did work. It is a file based imager, so it creates
images of the files on the partitions. If the errors are in non-used space it
might be able to make images of each partition and restore to another disk.

A third option is dd_rescue, which is also on the g4l disk that doesn't stop
when it finds bad sectors, but will continue on, and then try again to copy
them.

It has also been a while, but I have also used spinrite in the past on disk to
repair disk, and it many times could recovere some data. But don't know if it
supports the latest disks, and it does work on the original disks and makes
changes.