Re: USB3 Type C -

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 1:43 PM, George N. White III <gnwiii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 1:51 PM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I installed a new MSI mainboard about a month ago that has four USB3 connectors on the back panel that accept nothing I have on hand. Apparently it is known as a "type C" connector. How do I deal with this? Googling has not produced much useful information, I may not have used the right keywords, but I would like to adapt them to the old style conventional connectors on my flash drives, cables, etc.

I know this is not strictly a Fedora problem but it is a problem in using my Fedora systems when I can't connect to then. I was not aware of the difference before I bought the board, would appreciate information on how others have dealt with this..

Bob//

You could go to the DongleCompany (formerly known as Apple) Store.  They recently announced big discounts on the dongles, but not sure if you have to
own one of the current Apple products to qualify,

[snip]

" USB Type-C isn’t the same thing as USB 3.1. USB Type-C is just a connector shape, and the underlying technology could just be USB 2 or USB 3.0."

from:
http://www.howtogeek.com/211843/usb-type-c-explained-what-it-is-and-why-youll-want-it/

Just a new standard to replace a multitude of cables including, in time, your audio/video cables, printer, data, et al.  This was touched on about 10 years ago when developers were talking about the use of photonics as a data stream which would push data in the Tb ranges and reducing the need of multiple cables to just one for everything.  While not directly related it is a step in that direction. USB 3.1 (not the type C) reportedly will push about 10 Gb/s.  As Dave pointed out, adapters will be needed for a spell.

-- Fred