Re: WD My Passport Ultra 3T usb drive problem

Gregory P. Ennis sent:
>> Unfortuantely, when I tried to connect it to Fedora 24 I am still not
>> able to recognize it to mount it.  All of the /dev/sd* entries were
>> the same before and after I plugged it in.  Smartmontools appears to
>> recognize it when it is plugged in a usb port, but pauses and does not
>> finish its execution to completion.  gparted scans all devices and
>> does not finish when the drive is plugged in a usb port.

Tim:
> Is it one of those drives with a Y-lead?  (Two plugs at the computer
> end, one plug as the drive end.)  And have you plugged them both in?
>
> There's a chance that it's not getting enough power for the drive to
> spin up.  Try plugging them into different sockets on your computer.

Supplemental to my (31 Oct) above posting (which doesn't appear to have
made it through to the list:

By "different sockets" above, I mean try using the USB sockets directly
on the motherboard (through the back panel), rather than using USB
sockets on the front of the box (which may connect via a thin flylead
through the cabinet).

I'd be inclined to make sure that any drive using a Y-lead, always has
both of the computer-end USB plugs connected to the same host (i.e. two
adjacent USB ports), rather than spread between different hosts.  Some
of those Y-leads simply join the +5 volt supply lines together without
any isolation between the two of them.  That's the kind of thing that
can upset some electronics.

A simple solution can be to use an external powered hub, especially if
you suspect that your computer doesn't have enough spare power supply
capacity for powering yet another device.  Even though standard advice
is to connect drives directly to the computer, so that data speed can be
as fast as possible.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

Just because nobody complains, it doesn't mean that all parachutes are
perfect.