Re: md-raid1 + lvm

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 13:58:22 +0200
Saša Janiška <gour@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m new Fedora (f25-beta) user considering to fully (after having
> Fedora on my netbook) migrate to Fedora.

May the force be with you.  ;-)

> At the moment I run Debian (Sid) and have two hard disks: 1x1TB and
> 1x2TB (one old 1TB disk recently died) and have the following layout:
>
> sda: 1 - BIOS boot
>      2 - md-raid1 (root, xfs)
>      3 - md-raid1 (home, xfs)
>

> sdb: 1 - BIOS boot
>      2 - md-raid1 (root, xfs)
>      3 - md-raid1 (home, xfs)
>      4 - swap
>      5 - backup partition
>

> Now I’ve a feeling that, somehow, Fedora favours usage of LVM
> partitions…Otoh, I’ve been told that using LVM on top of RAID(1) might
> not be the best solution, so wonder whether you recommend to keep the
> same layout as on Debian or to put my raid-1 volumes in LVM
> containers?

I don't know about the raid question, since I don't use raid. I think
the installer automatically selects lvm if you let it, but I never do.
I always use a custom install to pre-created partitions (and never
install over the currently working version, to save lots of hassle and
headache if problems occur).  The upgrade becomes a much more relaxed
process when there is a working alternative available.

> Another concern I have is in regard to separate /boot partition which
> I was not using on Linux for quite some time, but see that Fedora’s
> automatic layout does create it?

I don't use a /boot under root, and haven't with Fedora, so I'm not
sure if that is a problem or not.  Until you asked your question, I
hadn't even thought about the fact that /boot could be in the /
partition, though I knew it.  I use a separate 1 G boot partition for
each linux OS I have installed.  Maybe someone else can speak to this.
There must have been a reason lost in the mists of time.  And probably
inapplicable now, given how much change there has been.

Using a custom layout, and not allocating a /boot partition should work
for this in the installer, too.  I can't see a reason it wouldn't, and
if it does you don't have to worry about it.