Re: how to login to the list

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 09:41:34 -0600
Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, you may need to change your email address, change your options,
> post from the web interface or the like, and for that there needs to
> be a way to identify you as you.

Wouldn't it be easier to not allow changes?  At subscription time, the
list options are selected by the user.  If the user wants to change
them, they unsuscribe, and resubscribe with the new options they want.
No need for any outside confirmation of who is subscribing.

> I think thats an odd way of looking at it. Spammers can (and do) sign
> up for accounts everywhere, which they could use to subscribe to the
> list and post, but I think most spam these days is looking for easy
> and volume, so thats too much trouble to bother with usually.

I think email spam is a dying mode, probably because it gets so little
response. Or maybe the tools to deal with it have become so good I
rarely see it. Most of the spam I see now is on social media.

> There also is security for each account... just as much security as
> the provider you choose to login with has. Personally, I would not
> trust yahoo at all, but I do trust Fedora. Its up to you which one
> you use.

I think I agree with Matthew that the account is low threat.  So the
level of security is not very important, except for the threat of spam
to the list itself if it is compromised.  Using a low trust account
under that scenario makes sense.