Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

On 10/04/2016 04:21 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 10/04/2016 04:12 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> I don't think I've ever run one of the GUI package managers. I have run
>> "dnf --refresh upgrade" in an Xfce terminal, as root, any number of
>> times (most of the time, in fact). I ran into an X screwup only once
>> (early this week) and I think it was an upgrade of the session manager
>> that blipped. I got logged out of my session rather unceremoniously,
>> and a re-login was also screwed up.
>
> I also run Xfce, but I use yumex-dnf (I used yumex until yum was
> transformed into dnf.) and have had excellent results.  One nice thing
> about it is that if there's a dependency issue, you can go back to the
> screen listing the updates and unselect whatever's causing the issue
> without needing to start over and remember exactly which --exclude=
> arguments to use.  And, it doesn't insist on rebooting before installing
> anything, which is nice if you're using a computer that you'd rather was
> up as close to 24/7 as possible.  (Considering that you have to reboot
> after certain updates, such as a new kernel, this way means that you
> sometimes have to reboot twice for one update.)

My method has never asked me to reboot. My machines are on 24-7-365 and
as such, I do not permit automatic updates. I do the manual "dnf
--refresh upgrade" at least once a week, look CAREFULLY at the list of
stuff that's going to update/replace and if I feel I want to do it, I
hit "y" and suffer the consequences, if any.

Even then, other than this one time (and only on one of my three
F24 systems, two with integrated Intel graphics, one with nVidia), I've
never HAD to reboot nor have they rebooted spontaneously (except for
one machine, but its mobo was getting very, very sick and the
spontaneous reboots were due to that, not dnf).