Re: Fedora 24: sound fails at random times

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 12:43:36 +0100
Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In the last couple of weeks I've had a curious problem
> on my Fedora-24/KDE Thinkpad T510 laptop.
> Sound (on YouTube for example) starts up fine on Firefox,
> but then suddenly stops working after 5 to 30 minutes.

> The only cure I have found is to re-boot.
>
> I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?
> Or if anyone can suggest any possible alternative to re-booting?

Hmmm, I have been experiencing this, I think.  Occasionally, I'll try
playing a video, and there will be no sound.  I thought it was just
that the video poster had made an error.  I don't do anything to fix
it, and other videos will play just fine, even after a video has had
sound problems, or even while another video is having sound problems.
Next time this happens, I'll download the silent video and see if it has
audio when played locally.

The only place I recall having this happen is at youtube.  I don't use
flash, so it might be something to do with their html5 player.  Or maybe
a plugin?

I suspect that closing the site tab, deleting the cookies from the site
where the problem occurred, closing the browser, and then re-opening
the browser and the site would fix the problem.  Maybe even just
closing the tab for the site, removing its cookie, and re-visiting the
site would work. Depends if it is the site or the browser causing the
problem.

I have never had a problem with audio on local videos, so I conclude it
is not a hardware or alsa or pulse problem.