Re: How do I beat systemd user daemons into submission?

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 17:25:22 -0700
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/06/2016 05:06 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > Where the devil does systemd stash the info about what
> > crap to start in the "user daemon" and how do I change it?

This seems to be in these files,

Similarly to system units, user units are located in the following
directories (ordered by ascending precedence):

/usr/lib/systemd/user/ where units provided by installed packages
    belong.
~/.local/share/systemd/user/ where units of packages that
    have been installed in the home directory
    belong.
/etc/systemd/user/ where system-wide user units are placed
    by the system administrator.
~/.config/systemd/user/ where the user
    puts its own units.

> Arch has a pretty good document on the topic:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User

Thanks Gordon, that was a well organized read.  After reading that
page, and the systemd page there as well, it sounds like what Tom wants
is to disable any systemd units unless they are specifically
activated.  Like this description for system targets, except for user
targets.  Maybe replacing disable with mask, so updates don't enable
them.

>From their systemd wiki page:

"""
Arch Linux ships with /usr/lib/systemd/system-preset/99-default.preset
containing disable *. This causes systemctl preset to disable all units
by default, such that when a new package is installed, the user must
manually enable the unit.

If this behavior is not desired, simply create a symlink
from /etc/systemd/system-preset/99-default.preset to /dev/null in order
to override the configuration file. This will cause systemctl preset to
enable all units that get installed—regardless of unit type—unless
specified in another file in one systemctl preset's configuration
directories. User units are not affected. See the manpage for
systemd.preset for more information.
"""

And now I'm tempted to experiment with running X as a systemd --user
process, which I think is how Tom is running his graphical environment.