Re: Seeking advice on router.

Allegedly, on or about 01 September 2016, Timothy Murphy sent:
> There seems to be very little concrete information on router strength.
> Is there any standard way of measuring this, for comparison of
> routers?

Yes, but...

If you want a standard way of measuring RF (radio frequency) signals you
use RF test equipment (signal strength meters, spectrum analysers).

But as for computers, what are you going to believe?  You may have
wireless cards that give statistics about signal strength, but are they
calibrated?  Generally speaking, all they care about is a comparison of
one signal against another, not an absolute signal strength reading.

The bar graph that most WiFi devices show is a calculation of various
factors (strength, quality/errors), each programmer does it their own
way.  It's rather like the aplaus-o-meters on television shows.

You can get basic RF signal strength meters, but I'll lay odds that they
just measure anything that triggers it within a certain bandwidth, it
won't be an analysis of particular WiFi channels.

You can get the opposite problems with proximity - too much signal,
causing an overload of the front-end.  Whether that be too close to your
access point, or proximity to an interference source.

I wonder how well WiFi cards work in proximity to each other.  By way of
a related example - ever used two broadcast radio receivers (AM or FM)
near each other?  You can get nasty squeals and other strange
distortions of the signal as their IF and oscillator stages interfere
with each other.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages