Browser Privacy

Hello,

Perhaps this will help someone in their quest for greater online privacy and enhance their computer security. I'm simply trying to give back to the list for all the help I've received over the years. This is what I do...

I use Firefox simply because it allows me to stay in control of my browser. If you didn't know... "about:config" in the address bar allows control of any available setting. While private browsing seems to work well I like to keep everything in a single window to permit more flexibility and take the tab-specific route to essentially equivalent security that private browsing provides. So these are my plugins:

1. NoScript - virtually every exploit/tracking out there starts with the scripting approach. This kills javacript & the others while providing real-time total control of the tool. 2. Better Privacy - this tool deals with LSO tracking. This is just in case since I don't use flash since I don't need it anymore. I'll get to that later. 3. Privacy Badger - this blocks trackers websites use; it's sponsored by eff.org. This is my Ghostery replacement since I don't like the recent developments with that tool. 4. uBlock Origin - this is a FOSS ad blocker. I use this to replace AdBlock Plus since I don't like recent developments with that tool either. Then in preferences I enable the 3rd party filters: Fanboy privacy, Fanboy social media, and hpHosts multipurpose list.
5. Cookie Controller - this deals with general-purpose cookies.

These are my security essential plugins. Here is how I'm able to play videos on youtube & cnn etc. w/o flash.

1. I use the "Video Without Flash" plugin.
2. Install vlc with vlc extras also.
3. Install all the gstreamer & gstreamer1 plugins

I don't watch many video's but this gives me everything I need. Perhaps there are some this approach won't play but I haven't run across them yet.

Back to Firefox configuration in about:config...

1. search on geo and change geo:enabled to false (double click it)
2. geo.wifi.uri - change to localhost
3. browser.search.geoSpecificDefaults - change to false
4. search for pocket - disable I don't want anything auto-updating my system

Then in my Firefox preferences I remove all the default search engines (they all try to track you) except DuckDuckGo and add the Startpage search engine as my default. This will give you google results privately and even provides a proxy thru which you may visit a site.

FWIW I do the same geo stuff in Thunderbird in the Config Editor.

I never get geographical-specific ads then and my browser does not remember anything about me since Firefox is also set to delete all history when it closes. The only thing sites are ever able to determine about me is thru my isp provided ip address and then they customize "stuff" for that location 100 miles away.

Then more generally about security...

I run this config inside a virtualbox vm. Yes that's Fedora running inside Virtualbox on a Fedora host. Why? To provide a layer of abstraction in case the worst happens, my primary system is not likely to be compromised. In reality all of this resides in a single file on the host which is then deleted or backed up or transferred easily. I run another separate vm for banking and that is its only function in life. It only boots once or twice a month so I can log in and pay bills or transfer $ etc. I still use FF with the above config but simply provide a permanent exception to NoScript so the bank or credit card site gives me the best experience. I don't ever visit other sites or check email or do anything else in my banking vm. Then I turn it off except to keep it updated. I try not to browse the web on my host and always keep an original vm "Fedora Master" copy so if I want to start from scratch - to ensure no trackers are present it's a simple clone / file copy and I have a brand new Fedora environment. I give it 4 cpu cores & 8gb ram from the host and get good response & performance. I have plenty more on the host. I have another vm dedicated solely to use TOR.

Then here are some other plugins I use to make things more convenient.

1. New Tab Override   sets specific page for new tabs
2. Mozilla Archive Format
3. Toolbar Buttons adds icons for convenient tasks. It has an icon for about:config and for noscript exceptions (so you don't have to pull down a menu) and many others. I like it. 4. Download Flash & Video even when the option is not available on the site
5. IdentFavIcon & FavIconReloader     for when your bookmark loses its icon

This works for me and provides a good experience since I'm able to run 1920x1440 inside a vm since my host is running 2560x1600. However on my 13" laptop it can get frustrating fast since it all get's so small so I rarely use vm's there. I just use the more general FF configuration.

Perhaps this will provide info you haven't considered before.

Drew