Re: evercookies.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 19:45:52 -0000
"William Mattison" <mattison.computer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Two questions about "evercookies".  I think this could be useful to
> others in this forum as well as to me.
>
> 1. On my home Fedora-23 (updated weekly) workstation, how do I find
> and truly, fully, permanently get rid of whatever evercookies might
> be on my system?  If y'all don't mind, I'd also like to know how to
> find and delete "evercookies" on my home windows-7 box, if there are
> any.
>
> 2. I use Firefox (updated weekly) for browsing.  On my home Fedora-23
> workstation, how do I block or prevent the storage of evercookies on
> my system?  If y'all don't mind, I'd also like to know to to block or
> prevent the storage of "evercookies" on my home windows-7 box.  I'm
> already using "No-Script" (on both systems) if that's relevant.

That was interesting.  I knew about browser fingerprinting.  But I
hadn't heard about the evercookie.  I turned up this on stack overflow,

"most evercookie vectors have been closed via browser client security
updates"

And from the reading, I gleaned that flash, or javascript, or java has
to be enabled for an evercookie to be placed.  It's put in place by
code that has to run, so something has to be enabled to run it for it
to succeed.

It seems that private browsing mode prevents evercookies, but users
want to be protected during normal browsing.

Adblock Plus says this:

"If the last paragraph isn’t explicit enough for you, here you go:
Adblock Plus privacy protection (a.k.a. EasyPrivacy filter list)
doesn’t care whether it is cookies, canvas fingerprinting or
evercookie, you will be protected regardless."

There were suggestions that facebook and google use this technology to
track people across the web.  And I can anecdotally support that.
When I go to youtube with noscript set, it doesn't recognize me.  If I
turn script on, it then recognizes me.  Hmmmm.

I use the firefox plugin self-destructing cookies, and I don't have
youtube set on the whitelist.  So, they are identifying me by some
other means.  No LSO cookies, no html5, so not that.  Browser
fingerprinting?  Evercookie?