Re: Decent picture viewer

On Wed, 2016-08-17 at 08:13 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
On 08/17/2016 03:25 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 21:12:04 -0400 Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For the longest time I used gthumb for picture viewer.  I even installed
a gnome app on my Xfce desktop with Fedora21, but I did not like what
they did to gthumb in Fedora22.  I almost shudder to think what it looks
like in F24 (though I could try the liveCD and see...).

Anyway, Ristretto in Xfce is really not adequate, so I am asking really
nicely, please for recommendations.
I guess it depends on what exactly you mean by "adequate" but I use gpicview. My guess is that it is perhaps even less than adequate for you, but it gets the jobs done for me.
Valid point.  I 'grew up' with gthumb with all those years of using
gnome until I bailed with F21 for Xfce.  The switch to Xfce was driven
by my work with the Fedroa-arm builds and on armv7 chips, you really
don't want to run gnome.  Those early arm builds all had Xfce and I
liked it.  So for a while I still used gthumb, but came to dislike it
with F22.

So what do I want a picture viewer to provide:

A directory tree view so I can go through all of my picture directories
easily.
A thumbprint view so I can scan down easily for the pictures I want to
see/show.
A full screen pic viewer that offers editing and printing.
Slideshow function and support animated gifs (I encountered one viewer
somewhere that did not)

Not a big list.  gthumb on F21 was just right, but with F22 became too
feature rich (but was really good for printing).
One more thing I'd like but haven't found anywhere yet:

A way to reorder the pictures in a directory (like a slide show) but
actually assign regular names so they maintain the lexical ordering. I
have a large number of old slides I've scanned and want to re-order
them by their chronological date, but of course they have no
timestamps.

For a couple like that I have gone through the work with renaming the files with a prefix to order them by name or using touch to date them appropriately. A 'playlist' feature would be nicer.