Re: bad results from adding samsung v-nand SSD 950 PRO M.2 to ASUS laptop

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   yesterday, i popped open my ASUS G752VL-DH71 to see two available
> slots for SSD drives, both clearly labelled "PCIE only", so i
> inserted a new samsung 950 PRO in slot 1, closed it up and booted
> and (reproducing from scribbling on some paper, just the first bit):
>
>   ata1.00: failed to enable AA (error_mask=0x4)
>   ata1.00: revalidation failed
>
> etc, etc, at which point it finally dropped me into an emergency
> shell.
>
>   i didn't have time to debug so i just removed it and got back to
> work, but is there something i'm forgetting here? here's the samsung
> page for that drive:
>
> http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/950pro.html
>
> thoughts? like i said, i did not invest a lot of time trying to track
> this down as i have way too much to do, but if there's something
> stupid i've done, it would be good to know.

  i'm following up on an earlier post of mine, still looking for
advice. someone earlier suggested googling for "M.2 PCI-E adapter",
but this is a laptop, not a desktop, so i have no idea what the value
of an adapter would be.

  decent pics are in this article:

http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/01/19/rogs-g752-gaming-laptop-allows-easy-memory-and-storage-upgrades/

where the 4th pic down shows the two SSD slots clearly marked "PCIE
ONLY". that article states:

"As the silk-screened label indicates, M.2 compatibility is limited to
PCI Express SSDs.  PCIe drives come in one of two flavors—AHCI or NVM
Express—and the G752 works with both of them.  However, it doesn’t
support M.2 drives based on the Serial ATA standard.  Those drives are
too slow to take advantage of the copious bandwidth on tap, so there’s
little point to running them in a laptop like this."

  the SSD i tried is described here:

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/950pro.html

and the "specifications" tab reads:

  INTERFACE
  PCIe 3.0 x4 (up to 32 Gb/s) NVMe 1.1

so it sure seems like i should be able to use that SSD. but, as you
can read above, my first attempt did not end well.

  am i missing something? is support for that device built into the
stock fedora kernel as it comes from red hat? (i just assumed it was,
perhaps i was being optimistic. would this need standard pci-e
support?)

  is anyone else using this setup? with what SSD drive? and did it
just work out of the box? i'm open to suggestions.

  more in a bit ...

rday