Re: Can not edit LVM partitions with blivet-gui

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 7:44 AM, Mark Haney <mark.haney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Who in their right mind uses LVM now?  I stopped messing with that PoS 5
> years ago.  It's a PITA to manage, recovering from a failure is almost
> impossible, and accessing / on an LVM drive from a boot/rescue disk is a
> crap shoot.
>
> </endOTrant>

I'm close to that bandwagon for the Workstation product, I don't
really get the point. But then, a few years ago Apple went and built
their own LVM like thing called Core Storage and made it the default.
But then they also have high level tools aware of all the parts of the
stack so that when you do 'diskutil repairdisk' and point it at a
disk, it not only fsck's that file system, but it also checks all the
Core Storage metadata found on the PV for consistency, and the EFI
system partition on that disk, and even the GPT. The GUI version of
the program does the same thing, it knows about the whole stack. But I
find it ironic Apple went with an LVM like thing right at the time I
was opining Fedora to drop it for Workstation. *shrug*

And now Apple has a new filesystem to replace HFS+ and CoreStorage.
It's not nearly as sophisticated as ZFS or Btrfs, but it's a kind of
pool based file system with reflinks and snapshots similar to Btrfs,
with no checksumming or the replication and dedup features. So one of
these years...maybe we get a Btrfs kernel developer back at Red Hat or
in Fedora to support getting us off LVM.

Funny enough, part of the argument for NOT dropping LVM was the
impending move to Btrfs and not wanting to make multiple back to back
changes. Kinda too late for Fedora 25 now, but it might be interesting
to refloat the idea of dropping LVM on Workstation for Fedora 26 if
there's no light at the end of the tunnel for a Btrfs transition.

--
Chris Murphy