Re: Date change on reboot

On 07/26/2016 02:45 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 14:23:25 -0500
> geo wrote:
>
>> you sure about that?
>
> Certainly it is true for every PC I had. The time of day
> clocks on most motherboards are so dreadful they loose
> or gain something like 10 minutes a day. Setting the
> time at boot from the network and keeping it set was
> essential for all my PCs over the years.

--->

if you have been using _mainboards_ [ i am old hat from s100 days. ;=) ]
that vary by 10 minutes a day, they are boards with piss poor cmos chips.

if you have ntpd and ntpdate enabled, your system clock will keep logs
correct after boot.

if you boot with network enabled and inet is accessed during boot, boot
logs/logging will reflect correction.

there are progs available that can reset cmos clock to correct time
during power down.

granted, logging time will be off when you cold boot, but logs will show
a time jump and such change can be noted if you have a problem during
boot up. tho what happened and corrected is much more important than
time being off.

also, unless you are an enviro freak worrying about using electricity
and feel you must shut down, consider this, component failure is most
like to happen from a cold start than from full time power up.

in long run, a system will last longer if it stays up, with hdd heads
parked, than it will turning on and off every time one is thru using.

from very start with s100 systems, i have my computers up 24/7/365.25.
they are only taken down for maintenance, parts replacement. systems
run with ups mains, including laptop.

from time to time, i will run a reboot, but that is just to clear up
memory and file back ups.

only time i have shut a system down and left down is when there is a
severe electrical storm is moving thru city and i can see lightening
flashes followed by very loud sound.

several years back, mains were lost thru out city for about 4 days and
mine was among them. after sitting in back yard of neighbor and 4 hours
had passed, i told them i was going to start my generator and run them
lines to they could keep their refrig up and have some light for at night.

after doing so, i powered systems back up, tweaked to low voltage drop
out point for ups so it would stop switching to full battery and beeping.

during the four days, systems stayed up and i was able to still play
with my system.

and yes, system clock stayed correct. B=)

--

peace out.

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.8

tc,hago.

.

=+=
Tired of having your microsoft os hacked?
Change to Linux os, used by microsoft hackers.
=+=
=+=