Re: Timeline of a Fedora-24/KDE reboot

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 16:43:02 +0200
Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Is the delay due to the timeout mentioned?
> I am not good at interpreting the output of journalctl.

I can't interpret anything systemd says either, but you'd
be more likely to see something if you remove the "rhgb quiet"
from the kernel boot lines in grub.cfg. Instead of
useless animation, you get actual messages about what
is going on.

Personally, I found that using the big hammer I wrote
up here to reboot makes things go much faster:

http://tomhorsley.com/game/punch.html

The output from the program in there can be piped
to sudo to kill off all the "user daemons" that never
die, yet systemd waits for them forever.

Another thing that slows down my reboots is the external
USB drive I have that spins down and takes a while to spin
up so it can be unmounted. If I explicitly unmount them, I
can at least see what it is waiting for.

Lately systemd has started waiting on apache httpd
to shut down for some reason, so I added a "die apache die!"
command to my "reboot" alias as well as all the above stuff.

If you have any NFS filesystems mounted, you'll want to do
a "umount -l -t nfs -a" as well, otherwise systemd can
take hours to timeout on nfs mounts for systems that
have actually gone down. (The -l option being the important bit).

The list of things systemd waits on for no reason appears
to grow every release or systemd update, but I try to track them
down and hit them over the head with my hammer when new
ones appear :-).