Re: dual boot - Windows 10 upgrade.

On 14/07/16 19:49, Ger van Dijck wrote:
Op Thu, 14 Jul 2016 02:47:13 +0200 schreef Robin Laing <MeSat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I need to do the windows 10 upgrade on a dual boot laptop. Any serious worries I need to watch out for?

Thank you in advance.

Robin
--

Just do the upgrade to Windows 10 and reinstall new Fedora 24 : When upgrading to Windows 10 Fedora keeps in the bootloader the name of the former version of Windows , then reinstall new Fdora 24 and in the bootloader appears Windows 10.

My experience is that when you upgrade or do a new install of Windows dual boot does not functionate anymore.

Greetings ,

I haven't played around with this functionality for quite some time since moving from a Linux distro that allowed the linux boot blocks (and hence dual boot functionality) to be installed to a partition. As I understand it a Windows install will install its boot blocks to the mbr of the disk it is installed on. Grub via grub2-install will let you install the grub boot blocks to the mbr on any physical disk that is available, so if you multiple disks you can install the grub dual-boot boot blocks to hard disk that Windows is not installed on, and then configure your bios (assuming your bios has this capability) to boot from the disk that has the linux boot blocks instead of the disk that has the windows boot blocks. Failing that there is an application that you can install on to a dvd that will search your system for grub config files and let you boot from any entry in the configs it can find, so you could use it to boot back into linux and then use grub to put the dual-boot boot blocks back into the mbr.

regards,
Steve

Ger van Dijck.
users mailing list