Re: application to listen to on-line broadcasts? [SOLVED]

On 07/13/2016 04:18 PM, William Mattison wrote:
The message I'm replying to was intended to be the closure of the thread "application to listen to on-line broadcasts?", but I failed to put the "Re: " at the beginning of the subject line.  My apologies.  On to the new thread that I intended to create...

1. I've encountered several websites that have media needing Adobe's Flash.  "Pipedreams" is one.  I can't at the moment recall others.  What is the best Fedora (and/or Firefox) alternative for Flash?  And how do I get Firefox to launch that application rather than Flash when the host website calls for Flash?

There is no alternative right now. There was an attempt at an open-source flash replacement, but I can't remember what it was called and it doesn't seem to be in Fedora any longer. Mozilla was working on a JS-based flash replacement, but they have recently abandoned it as well.

See https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/10217/sticky-how-do-i-install-adobe-flash-on-fedora/ for your options on installing the flash player.

2. I also occasionally have to fill in a pdf form.  In windows, Adobe's Reader used to handle that.  Reader no longer fills in forms.  What is the best Fedora application for both viewing and filling in pdf forms?  What about a Firefox add-on?

Evince (document viewer) works great for viewing pdfs and generally works ok with filling forms.

3. The National Weather Service weather RADAR displays have the option to do looping and zooming.  But those features need Java.  I have Java installed and up-to-date, but Firefox doesn't find it.  I haven't found a way to tell Firefox to use Java or where it is.  How do I do that?

Make sure you have the "icedtea-web" package installed.

4. Earlier in this thread, Samuel recommended that I activate a flag "mozilla_plugin_can_network_connect)" in selinux.  I'm not familiar with selinux (I'm just a home user struggling to be his own sys-admin.).  How do I do that?

setsebool -P unconfined_mozilla_plugin_transition on