Re: application to listen to on-line broadcasts?

On 07/12/2016 10:28 AM, William wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I've been wanting to listen to live streaming FM-radio broadcasts
> on-line.  I'm using Firefox (current as of last Thursday) and f-23
> (current as of last Thursday).  If it matters, I'm using Gnome.
>
> One I've tried is here: "http://www.wbjc.com/";.  When I click the
> "iTunes/mp3" button, a dialogue pops up saying it wants to open
> "listen.pls" which is an "MP3 ShoutCast playlist" from
> "http://wbjc-sc.streamguys.org";, and it launches Rhythmbox.  But I can't
> get it to give me music.
>
> On the same page, when I click the "Windows Media" button, a dialogue
> pops up saying it wants to open "wbjc" which is an "ASF video" from
> "http://vista.streamguys.com";, and it launches Videos.  Nothing more
> happens; I can't get Videos to give me music.

Pretty much any media player that has a "Open network stream" or "Play
stream" option can accept the .pls file. First, right click on the
"iTunes/mp3" button and copy the link to your clipboard.

I've tested it on "VLC media player":

	Media->Open Network Stream->(paste in your clipboard)

I've also tried Amarok:

	Playlist->Add Stream->(paste in your clipboard)

> I try another station: "http://www.cpr.org/classical";.  I click the
> arrow near the top.  I hear nothing.  On the
> "http://www.cpr.org/listen/streaming"; page, I try...
> 1. the Classical "MP3 Stream" "Listen" option.  The pop-up says it's
> trying to open "live_classical_mp3.pls" which is a "PLS file" from
> "http://livestream.cprnetwork.org";.  But it doesn't find any application
> for such files.
> 2. the Classical "Windows Media Player Stream" "Listen" option.  The
> pop-up says it's trying to open "listenClassical.asx" which is an "ASF
> video" from "http://livestream.cprnetwork.org";, and launches "Videos".
> Nothing more happens; I can't get Videos to give me music.
> 3. the Classical "High-Quality AAC Stream" "Listen" option.  The pop-up
> says it's trying to open "live_classical_aac.pls" which is a "PLS file"
> from "http://livestream.cprnetwork.org";.  But it doesn't find any
> application for such files.

Note that .pls files are Shoutcast playlists. In the playlist is the
actual location of the stream. In this case, the playlist looks like:

	[playlist]
	NumberOfEntries=1
	File1=http://wbjc-sc.streamguys.org:80/

So, you can either enter the URL from the "File1" line or the .pls URL
into any media player that understands Shoutcast streams.