Re: fedora maintenance mode

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 10:02:09 -0700
Paolo Galtieri <pgaltieri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a Fedora 23 system which has been running just fine.  I have
> update it to all the latest updates.  I rebooted the system after the
> updates and then ran:
>
> sudo dnf upgrade --refresh
[SNIP]
> I then rebooted the system and since then it boots to maintenance
> mode. I ran journalctl -xb, but I don't know what to look for. The
> last entry says
>
> Received SIGRTMIN+32 from pid 322 (plymouthd)
>
> Can someone tell me how I can reboot the system?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Not sure how much help this is, but plymouthd has a couple of options
that might shed more light.

--debug
           Output debugging information.

       --debug-file=STRING
           File to write debugging information to.

I'm not sure how to set them, though there is
an /etc/plymouth/plymouthd.conf file.  Maybe you just put a debug in
there.

The man page for plymouth says that plymouth can be used to send
commands to plymouthd, like  plymouth --boot-up --debug.  I think you
can see available commands in maintenance mode by running
ls /bin
to see if the plymouth command is available.  Then you could run it
from maintenance mode as above.

In the web pages that talk about plymouthd problems, the usual culprits
are another OS install, partitioning issues, or hardware / software
problems.  Maybe you can do an fs check (e2fsck?) from a rescue disk to
absolutely confirm that you hard drives are OK.

You might have a corrupted copy of plymouthd; you could boot into a
rescue disk, chroot to /mnt/sysimage, and do a dnf reinstall plymouth .
Long shot, correcting hd corruption of the binary if it exists.