Re: Fedora 24 - Grub2 permanent cmdline changes

Well I only glanced at the replies and all - which take an approach which seems kinda strange - but I am not much into Fedora at this time.

I am suspicious that the approach here may not handle kernel updates well.

Well perhaps a few things I learned during my short quest to make a kind of “backup-tool repair-tool forensic-tool multi-distro” flash drive may be useful here.  I made some flash drives which I do use from time to time today but I got discouraged by the “firmware can equal maleware” issues with flash drives so planned to move on (likely to USB-SSD if I ever get back to it).

This was making an normal “hard drive” boot environment for an Ubuntu install with the modification to the grub control files to produce an Ubuntu installation on the flash drive which would:

process updates well including changes to the kernel
NOT probe the local environment when processing kernel updates
Preserve the “menuentry boot stanzas” which would boot to the tools above (loop mounted .iso and other Linux partitions on the flash drive).

The grub control files:

/etc/default/grub

Here adding the “ GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true “ line prevented looking at the local environment while building the flash drives on various boxes.  There are many switches and controls available here.

/etc/grub.d/40_custom   (note: the README in /etc/grub.d)

Here you can add “menuentry boot stanzas” which will automatically make themselves part of grub.cfg ( /boot/grub/grub.cfg in Ubuntu) during an update process involving a new kernel.

HTH