Re: [OT] Tim, Gil, et. al. (e-mail address settings)

Allegedly, on or about 01 July 2016, Joel Rees sent:
> (The blame lies elsewhere.

Yes.  While I can't answer to the causes for other people's mail turning
up misidentified as spam, I can say that when I mail this list using a
Yahoo address, it's sent through the Yahoo SMTP servers, and I have
logged into them to send it (it won't let you send, if you don't).
There is nothing more that *I* can do to send that mail in a better way
to avoid it being misidentified as spam.

> I wish I had the network and social cred to get a real movement
> started, away from the current faceless CA system and towards a
> different identity assurance system that depends on actual, existing
> day-to-day trust relationships.)

Well, you're participating on a list for Fedora, and many services are
managed by those people.  If it's the Fedora list that's misidentifying
spam on the way through, its software needs looking at.  But I seem to
recall the conversation pointing the finger at gmail not properly
understanding mailing lists and the to/from addressing being different
from personal mail.  Over the years, there's been a lot of things said
against Google's mail service when using it with list mail, and it
appears you've be snagged by the latest WTF!  You do have the option to
vote with your feet and use a different mail service provider.  Leaving
gmail, and hotmail, and their ilk, to those who don't understand the
difference between webmail and email.

I don't think we'll ever get truly certified email (the sender is who
they say, spam is forbidden and accurately killed, etc.).  Many people
would fail the intelligence test to actually make use of it (they
wouldn't manage to set it up, wouldn't comprehend status notices about
the mail being good/no-good - clearly shown by the mammoth number of
people who get conned by mail, never picking up on the fact that the
addresses are wrong and that the grammar and spelling is worse than a
grade 3 dropout).  And mail client software can be diabolic at
supporting security features.

Though, it could be an interesting experiment done with Fedora by the
Fedora users.  i.e. Set up a secured mail service for Fedora users.  But
obviously no good for a technical support list, where users often come
to sort out their problems, not having to deal with a new one before
they can even ask.

There probably needs to be something during the mailing list
registration set up that lists a number of services that are known to be
problematic.  Sure, you can't possibly list every little service
provider, but if one of the world's biggest has serious false spam
triggering, I think it ought to get mentioned.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

I don't think it's pure coincidence that "officialdom" sounds the same
as "official dumb."