Re: No Graphical Login After Fedora 24 Upgrade From Fedora 23

On 06/26/2016 10:21 AM, David Dembrow wrote:
After completing the fedora 24 upgrade on a fedora 23 system there was no graphical login and the system appeared to be running in console mode (run level 3).

I have always used KDE as the display manager and desktop.  I noticed a similar problem posted but none of its recommendations were appropriate for my system.

I found the graphical.target set as the default (systemctl get-default).  Then I noticed the graphical.target expects to have a display-manager.service but the display-manager.service file was missing. from the /etc/systemd/system directory.

I copied the /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service file from a fedora 23 system and enabled the service (systemctl enable display-manager.service).  Started the service (systemctl start display-manager.service) and poof the graphical kde login manager and desktop returned.

Should this get posted as a bug or is the kde login manager expected to disappear with wayland?

Neither! Somehow, some way, something disabled your sddm service. I discovered the same problem, after upgrading from F22. (Long story there.) The sddm service runs the graphical login and also selects your network connection, wireless or otherwise. And by the way: /etc/systemd/system/dislay-manager.service shouldn't be a file. It is a symbolic link.

I'll pass along these two commands, which come from Garry T. Williams:

    sudo systemctl --force enable sddm.service
    sudo systemctl start sddm.service

Log in to your console, and then execute these two commands, in succession.

Thereafter you should be able to restart and still expect a graphical login.

I admit this doesn't answer the question of why this was never a problem until F24. I can guess: another service called kdm took care of this kind of login. But kdm is obsolete with F24.

I also think you'll find the new graphical login, especially with KDE, much easier to navigate. You select a user account from among a number of graphical choices. Then you specify your login password.

Temlakos