Re: wifi madness

On 06/13/2016 11:40 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 5:15 AM,  <vendor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016, Chris Murphy wrote:

Hi,

I have a super annoying problem that is not Fedora specific, but it's
been driving me nuts for a few weeks. Any idea for a more appropriate
forum to post this in is as useful as an idea what's going on or next
steps.

[snip]

I think this is a problem that comes up with Linksys routers in general, not
just the WRT600N.  It used to happen to me with an older Linksys device, and
I went through the "try changing the MTU, try changing the firmware, try
resetting to factory..." etc.

All that stuff.  Sometimes it would work for awhile, and sometimes it
wouldn't.  If you go to the Linksys forums, it always seems to boil down to
bad firmware -- whether ma nufacturere or dd-wrt for any number of models of
products from this brand.

The only thing I ever found that seemed to work for one person (it didn't
work for me), was to shield cables or move the router away from the cable
modem.  The claim was that it was electrical noise:

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/router-speed-drop-solved-1885

Other explanations I have seen include:

1) You are dropping a lot of packets because of noise and the router
automatically drops down to lower bandwidth when that happens (my old DSL
router did this all the time back in the day because I had a noisy phone
line)

2) You are in an area where there is congestion on a particular channel
(e.g. you live in an apartment and all your neighbors are simultaneously
downloading porn and playing World of Warcraft 24 hours a day)

And, I have to admit, when I looked at my router, it did follow a pattern of
dropping increasing numbers of packets before it crumped.

But mostly it was just Linksys/Cisco consumer product issues.

See:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=419398&sid=26a65103ddffd19c3588011d1a051faf
http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Linksys-WRT600N-Losing-Download-Speed-it-appears/m-p/316019#M166240

other models:

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT1900AC-dropping-2-4ghz-connection/td-p/827700
https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT-1900-AC-Wi-Fi-Speed-Drops-Significantly-Requiring-Reboot/td-p/970227/page/3

Like I mentioned though, this happens with Intel NUC wireless directly
connecting to the AP. The WRT600N isn't involved at all.

Just for giggles, try doing:

	# echo '0' >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_sack

and see if that helps. We need to use that when using SSH over several
of our VPNs and firewalls.

If it helps, you can add an /etc/sysctl.d/10-disablesack.conf file
containing:

	net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 0

to have it "stick" on the next reboot.

Just an idea.