Re: NetworkManager, using two networks simultaneously

On 06/10/2016 03:07 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Clicking the Apply button does not reload the connections, so the
settings change does not take effect. I either have to do 'nmcli c
reload' or in the GUI click on Wired, then change On to Off to back
On. And now it works as expected. GENERAL.DEFAULT is now no for this
wired connection, and ip route show no longer shows it as default via.

Sooo... if someone wants to test this on Fedora 23 in GNOME to see if
this Apply bug happens there, it would be great to know if it's a
regression or not, and note this in the bug.

Thanks!

OK I replicated this on the Fedora 23 Server NUC and oops, lost ssh
entirely. I think what's going on is since wireless is now default,
ssh comes up only on wireless and not on wired?

I don't believe that's the case. Typically that stuff is dependent on
if the _network_ (any network) is up or not, NOT what _kind_ of network
it is. The problem is determining what runs (and when) based on network
status is driven by the spectacularly over-complicated and broken
systemd crapola. There might be something in there that breaks in these
cases. It sure as h*ll wouldn't be the first time systemd was hosed or
had race conditions.

<soap>
Using NM for anything headless is a bad idea. Using NM and DHCP for a
headless unit is a REALLY bad idea. NM, DHCP and wireless for a
headless unit is bordering on insanity. That's just my opinion, but I
do manage a data center with about 300 servers and since I don't have
time (nor the desire) to debug NM-related issues, I don't permit NM on
them. We only use the old, reliable network script stuff. It's like an
old VW Beetle...slow, ugly, noisy and smelly, but seems to always run.
</soap>