Re: NetworkManager, using two networks simultaneously

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 12:11 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Fred Smith
> <fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> If you click on IPv4 and scroll down under Routes, "Use this
>>> connection only for resources on its network" but I have no idea what
>>> that does.
>>
>> did  you ever connect to a VPN and discover that you then cannot access
>> anything on your localnetwork, or out on the internet?
>
> Yes.
>

>> if you check that box it doesn't block all those other systems/networks,
>> sending only the things that need to go to that connection to it and
>> letting everything else be routed as it always has before.
>
> That's very cool but I think I'd stick it in the VPN connection
> configuration. I suspect whether you want this passthrough to work
> might depend on which VPN connection you're using. But anyway...
>

> So what I think is going on here, when I look at the output from
> 'nmcli c show' for wifi and wired connections is this:
>
> Wired:
> GENERAL.DEFAULT:                        yes
>
> Wireless:
> GENERAL.DEFAULT:                        no

# nmcli c modify e9e610f6-c5e0-4853-87ac-89248ca1a531 GENERAL.DEFAULT yes
Error: invalid or not allowed setting 'GENERAL': 'GENERAL' not among
[connection, 802-11-wireless (wifi), 802-11-wireless-security
(wifi-sec), 802-1x, ipv4, ipv6].

There's ipv4.never-default but setting that from no to yes for wired
and reloading changes nothing. Its GENERAL.DEFAULT is still yes, and
web browser still hangs.

There's connection.autoconnect-priority which if wired is set to 0 and
wireless set to 1, should mean wireless gets priority, but no,
GENERAL.DEFAULT for wired is still yes and for wireless still no. And
browser still hangs.

So I'm out of ideas. This is really rudimentary for like > 10 years in
Windows and OS X, I'm more than a little surprised it's this difficult
to figure out in the NetworkManager GUI, but really surprised it's
obscure even in the cli. I can't believe no one is multihoming and has
to pick which network they prefer?

--
Chris Murphy