Re: Problems with a dim video

On 05/29/2016 12:40 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 05/29/16 11:35, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Been a while since I have been over here.  Here is the situation.

I am running up to date Fedora 22 x64 on a Lenovo x120e using Xfce.  Install goes back
to about when 22 shipped.

For some time now, the video would be dim, like at the powersaving setting, but if I ran
on battery and did no input for ~5 min then moved the mouse, I would get full video.

This little trick has stopped working.  Laptop display is dimmed.  I should mention that
the external monitor is running at max video brightness.  On boot, if I <Alt-D>, the
notebook video starts bright, but quickly dims.

If I boot into bios, the video is dim.  There is no video brightness option.

I have gone into powermanagement settings and set everything for max brightness.  No
difference.

I have looked here for any messages like this and have tried looking for bug reports
with nothing coming up.  So any ideas? Recommendations?

Does your laptop have an ambient light sensor?  I had one go bad on an Acer laptop that
would cause trouble.  In my case it was flaky and would randomly dim/brighten.  It has
been a while now, but I think I had to short it out to get things working well.

No ambient light sensor that I have ever discovered. I have a few of these in service and have taken them all apart at times, though not the monitor piece. But I have had to read the maint docs and they do not mention one.

Recently, I have had to have blackout tape over my camera to enter a facility where I have contract work. Since they got me a contracter ID, I no longer need to do that, but have not taken the tape off, as I do not use the camera...

I took that tape off and no change.

Need to find a program in Xfce that uses the camera to test it out again..,