Re: Posting to the Fedora message boards

On 24/05/16 10:59, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 05/24/16 08:53, Ed Greshko wrote:

No.  I should have mentioned that I have a retention policy set for each list.  Some for
30 days, some for 14.
Oh, the policy is set in my T-Bird client.   I don't think gmail itself offers this.

But since I use IMAP all clients I use see the same contents.

(Sorry to have left off that detail.  A bit distracted this AM)
Hi Ed, just to be a bit off topic here, I used Thunderbird as well, and as of the last couple of months, using Imap, mainly because of not being able to get pop to work when I upgraded my internet service from adsl to cable, and my isp not understanding that when you connect your cable service to a different domain to what their adsl services are connected to, and they create a userid in the new domain of the same name as the orginal one, that in Tbird to continue to use the original mailbox you have to add the domain name to your login credentials. Using Imap does not alleviate this, I just found this when I couldn't get Imap to work for the same reason, and the isp's support guys were of no help in identifying this.

How do you configure Tbird for the way you use the mail service (different retention periods on folders and only downloading mail you are interested in), as relative to the retention period of mail on the remote server, the version of Tbird I am using appears to only provide 1 setting relative to retention on the server which I have set to 7 days, rather than as I used to have it set to, to delete when downloaded (Are you implementing it via folder level mail rules?). Experience also indicates that this setting doesn't work properly anyway (I haven't determined yet whether this failure was relative to imap or pop) as the mailbox at the isp's end retained mail that was significantly older than than the retention period threshold. I also ran into the issue when I switched to imap that for several days afterwards I got duplicate emails in my Tbird inbox. My isp's support guys were unable to explain why, and also not explain why it was the all the emails that were duplicated did not physically exist in their mailbox and emails for the same days that were not duplicated still existed in their mailbox.

How do you work around the stated functionality of imap, that if you have a mail sitting in your inbox in Tbird and that mail is deleted from the server mailbox it is automatically deleted from your Tbird inbox as well. When I mentioned to my isp's support that I wanted to retain old emails in my inbox and that functionality would not work for me, they told me if I wanted to do that then I would have to switch back to pop because I would not get it using Imap.?

regards,
Steve