Re: liveusb-creator gone?

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 4:26 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Has liveusb-creator been replaced by Fedora Media Writer?

Yes, it's undergoing a rewrite so there may be some confusion and bugs
in 3.93.3 still.

> I'm having difficulty installing Knoppix on a stick with the latter,
> although I had no problem installing an older version of Knoppix
> on the same USB stick with liveusb-creator some time ago.

One big thing different right now with the tool is it only uses dd. So
any images that expected copying and setup/changing bootloader
configuration, isn't happening. There were lots of problems with UEFI
and Macs just depending on file copying and reconfiguring the
bootloader stuff, so now it's using dd to image the iso file directly
to the stick. The two additional consequences of this: a.) no
persistent overlay option right now, you'd need to use
livecd-iso-to-disk --overlay-size-mb option to create the stick; and
b.) it is always destructive, you can't point to a partition on the
stick, it will always use the entire stick.

> The copy now completes without error, but the stick is not seen
> as a bootable device, and re-booting my ThinkPad T510
> ignores the USB stick, and goes to the usual kernel menu.

I'm not familiar with Knoppix image files so I don't know if they
expect the USB tool to do some bootloader configuration. This is
actually all a lot harder than it might seem. For example ISO 9660
doesn't use MBR or GPT partitioning, has no boot sector, has 2K sector
size, and there's no reliable bootloader for it, so the images
actually end up using El Torito to make all of this discoverable and
bootable.  But that's only going to work with optical drives. If you
image that ISO directly to a USB stick, it's not bootable. So Fedora
ISO's use isohybrid to write a simultaneously crazy and badass,
coherent yet Frankenstein (the monster) MBR+APM+GPT+bootloader jump
code that supports BIOS, UEFI, and Apple EFI firmwares on x86_64.
It's...amazing.

So it might be that the image you want to use requires more post-write
setup than the tool currently supports.

> I read that Fedora Media Writer is able to restore a USB stick
> to factory setting, but I see no way to do this.

I'm pretty sure on Fedora, the tool will only offer this option if it
sees the effect of isohybrid in the first few sectors of the stick.
This is actually consistent with the image you're using not being made
for direct USB writing with dd, it's probably strictly optical, and
expects a USB writing tool to make the necessary modification, adding
MBR and/or GPT and bootloader.

You can check the image with:

dd if=path/to/iso count=65 2>/dev/null | hexdump -C

If you see zeros through 0x8000, where the values are 01 43 44 30 30
31 01 00  4c 49 4e 55 58 20 20 20  |.CD001..LINUX   | then yes it's a
strictly ISO 9660 (probably also El Torito).

--
Chris Murphy