Re: Claws mail -

On 04/29/2016 06:57 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
On 04/29/16 06:39, Tim wrote:
.
I used to use Gnome, now I use Mate, but they both had (and Mate still
does), options to set your display*look*  preferences (Mate has it in
the accessibility / universal access settings.  Where you get a few
choices for low, normal, high contrast, and high contrast & inverse.
Gnome used to do it with Themes.

The idea is that it sets the basic desktop colour scheme for most things
(windows, menus, text foreground and backgrounds), and some desktops let
you set them with RGB sliders rather than just give you some presets.

However, you do come a cropper with some applications that either don't
use the desktop colours in a logical fashion, or their display section
takes their colours from the source of what they're displaying (such as
anything that shows HTML).  Likewise, it's confusing if you're word
processing and including graphics.  The printer is most likely to print
the text black on a white page, because you're*displaying*  it in
inverse, not painting it in those colours.  And judging how a graphic
fits into that scheme is difficult, too.

--
.
Xfce has what are probably the same settings options and I use all the

The remaining problem is that the Thunderbird message text area seems to
have grown smaller over the years.
The window has the usual needed information at the top but in the center
there is a large block of double spaced information much of which is
already available at the top and all is readily available via menus
provided. For me that center third of the display is just an annoyance,
at least 7 of the 11 lines of the space it takes I would like to
eliminate.  Double clicking on the message list [opening?] changes the
display and improves the space available for the message text, I prefer
not to do that.

You do know you can resize the various Thunderbird panes by putting the
cursor over the dividing lines, waiting for it to turn into the double
arrow cursor, holding the left mouse button down and dragging the lines
whichever way you want. It's sticky, meaning the next time you open
Thunderbird it'll appear in the same way you buggered it the last time.
I've used it extensively.

So I began looking for an alternative e-mail application and thought
Claws might be a possibility but it presents a different set of things
to work around. That and the fact that we are stuck with a poor aspect
ratio in the available monitors. A larger monitor monitor gives very
little more room for text and I tend to use only about 12 inches of
width for the message text to make it easier for me to follow from line
to line with my vision ...