Re: gmail thought it was spam

On Sat, 2016-04-16 at 12:27 -0500, g wrote:
> thanks to yuchahoo bouncing my good email, even after filling out and
> submitting forms that lists.fedoraproject.org and 5 other subscribed
> to list are desired, and, also aggravating is that yuckahoo also marks
> good emails as junk and sends them to their junk folder forcing me to
> have to also pull emails that they _think_ are junk along to get my
> good emails that they do not bounce, i missed first post of this thread,
> so i will start with your post.

Hence why I don't let others do spam filtering for me.  Their methods
tend to be crap, and your control of it inadequate.

> i agree 100% with your reasoning and maybe should have done so to at
> start. exception being that when i first subscribed to bellsouth.net,
> i had no problems.

When I first started, I had no problems with spam, either.  A year or so
later I got the odd one or two, so manual deleting is not a problem.
Then it started to come in droves, thanks to address harvesting.
Though, for a very long time, I had an email address in clear text on my
website didn't attract spam, oddly enough.

I've always found avoiding being spammed is better than trying to deal
with a deluge.  For what it's worth, in the early days, I found that
double-barrelled email addresses (e.g. john-doe@xxxxxxxxxxx) stopped a
lot of random dictionary spam, and triple-barrelled addresses
(mr-john-doe@) stopped almost all random dictionary spam.  They just
don't seem to mock up multi-name addresses when doing that kind of spam
(spamming addresses that they fake up to see if they exist, rather than
spamming addresses harvested from current public emails).

Another trick was to put extra words in your address.  Some spammers
seem to think that such words are munged into addresses, and ought to be
removed when posting to you.  Of course, if your address actually
required them, the mail fails.  Or the converse, words that need
removing to post, can fool spammers who don't follow instructions.  But
that depends on normal humans having some intelligence before replying,
actually looking at your address, and modifying it if needed.  Since a
lot of people are stupid, not to put too fine a point on it, I wouldn't
use those type of munged addresses in private mail, just where you have
no choice but to publicly expose an address.

> i have an other way that eliminates junk emails. extensive filtering
> of all email i receive so that any emails that hit last filter for each
> of my accounts. as such, any thing that hit 'Local Folders / Inbox'
> using thunderbird email client, what shows up is either new emails
> needing filter setup or is junk and after a using <j> on them,
> thunderbird's junk filtering takes care of them.

I used to do that approach, too.  Filter all wanted mail where you'd
read it, and manually deal with the left overs.  Unfortunately, when I
switched over to Linux, many years ago, Evolution has been the least
worst mail client out of the many that I've tried, but it's as slow as
molasses at filtering mail, so I gave up.  Read everything in the inbox,
and shovel stuff into archives once a month if I want to keep it.  I
really should do filtering on my IMAP server, but any time I've looked
at how to do it, it's a headache.

Personally, I preferred usenet for the kind of thing that this mailing
list did.  Usenet clients act a bit like a web browser, only caching
what you read, and expunging older cached things at some expiry date, so
your drive doesn't fill up, just maintains up to a certain amount.  You
don't have to housekeep, it does it for you.  They're also more featured
in following threads, allowing you to mark particular ones to be watched
or ignored, and downgrading particular authors, or outright killing
their messages from your view.  Never tried a usenet client?  Have a
look at Pan, to see this kind of thing in action.  You can use it with
this mailing list through the gmane usenet/newsgroup interface.

> once i start a new account with another isp and get all my desired
> email senders, personal and public, notified of new addresses, i will
> drop bellsouth, aka, att/yuckahoo like a hot brick and enjoy a totally
> spam/junk free email life.
>
> bellsouth/att will also lose me as a pots customer. B-)

Some service providers are just crap, and knowing that I've not used an
ISP mail account since I ditched my second one.  That way, I'm not held
hostage to them.  It's really worth getting your own domain name, then
you can do your mail through whichever host you feel like using, and
dump them if they go bad, yet still keep the same address.

On that note, having more than one email address means that you get
extra doses of spam.  Though it is handy to have more than one, so you
can still email if a service goes down, or you have to use mail away
from your own computers.  So I'd stick with just a couple of addresses.
e.g. One for private, one for public.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.