Re: gmail thought it was spam

Tim:
>> The chief step being to post to this list using an address that's inbox
>> auto-deletes everything without a special password, and to receive
>> messages using a second address that isn't publicly exposed on this
>> list.  Long, long, ago, I found that posting to mailing lists was the
>> main way to get spam, addresses are harvested from them en-masse.  Stop
>> exposing your address, and don't use ones that get easily spammed by
>> random dictionary attacks, and your spam dwindles significantly.

Misha S.:
> But you have to put a notice that makes you look like a douche in all
> your outgoing mail.

And up yours, too...  If you go around throwing insults, expect to get
slapped in the face for it.

There is no reason for anybody on here to *need* to contact me
privately, this isn't a private messaging list.  Just because someone
might want to, doesn't mean that I have to receive it, at least they
know about it in advance.  And unlike those various business messages
that say "do not reply to this post, it is an unmonitored account," you
*can* communicate with me (back through the list, in the same place that
I sent the message).

I'm using the list rather more like usenet worked.  Which, to be honest,
is a better system for this kind of forum (doesn't have to expose your
email address, you don't have to download entire messages to skim
through the list, you don't have to manage local storage, etc.).

Or think of it like being at work.  At work you discuss things with
other people at work, appropriate to the workplace.  You only give your
home contact details to those that you feel need it, and won't abuse it.
People forget that the internet is not your friend, or peers, it's full
of strangers and damn weird people.  You should be more guarded with
your privacy and safety.

Over the years, email has become more and more un-viable for a lot of
people.  So much so that other protocols have taken over for lots of
types of messaging (IM, SMS, [anti]social networking), and still more
companies keep trying to come up with email alternatives.  Though,
nearly all of them are *exclusive* systems which, unlike email, cannot
communicate with each other.  Email is the lowest common denominator,
and like a lot of the old school protocols, goes on trust, where the
reality is that secure and safe protocols need to work on mistrust.
Encryption should be the norm for private person-to-person messages, all
senders should have to authenticate with their SMTP server, all SMTP
servers should take action against abusive customers, external services
should blackball SMTP servers that don't reign in their abusive clients,
so the spam gateways get pinched off and go out of business.

And yes I do recognise some need for anonymous messaging, so that
whistleblowers can survive exposing criminal behaviour.  But *that*
doesn't necessarily have to be through email.  In fact, if you read the
articles from some journalists who deal with whistleblowers, they'll
specifically list email as one of the ways not to communicate.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.