Re: Fedora 23 installation failed and symptoms destroyed

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 8:28 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The system is a newly assembled and installing Fedora 23 from live DVD is
> its first use.  The processor is Skylake (I guess that might matter).
> GPT partitioning and UEFI firmware are being used.
>
> Fedora 23 installation seems to work fine until it says that it is
> installing the bootloader.  At this point, some error message is probably
> produced but it gets completely lost in SPAM from journald.
>
> The desktop becomes unresponsive.  All the consoles are filled with
> messages like this:
>
> [TIMESTAMP] systemd-journald[PID]: Failed to write entry (N items, N bytes), ignoring: Read-only file system
>
> In one of the many attempts to install, there was a message about an
> I/O error.  But it didn't seem to say anything beyond ERRNO=5.
>
> Before the desktop becomes completely unresponsive, it is unable to launch
> any programs (including GNOME Terminal).
>
> I assume that journald is trying to log to a RAMdisk.  This shouldn't
> be a problem: the system has 32G of RAM.
>
> Is there a way to stop journald messing up the record with its own
> (possibly recursive) complaints?  That would help us figure out what the
> original problem is.
>

> Permutations attempted:
>
> - installing to HDD vs SSD
>
> - pre-partitioning with gparted vs specifying partitions to the
>   installer vs giving the installer a free had at choosing the partitioning.
>
> A subsequent Ubuntu installation succeeded.  I don't know which
> version.  But Fedora 23 is preferred.

There isn't enough information.

I'd suspect a bad download of the ISO or bad write to optical media.
Note that some firmware out there prefer legacy CSM-BIOS boot from
hybrid media. The first thing I'd do is make sure you choose the media
test option when booting, and then once booted, get to Terminal and
post the results of 'efibootmgr -v' and might as well post the entire
journal thus far, because what ever problem causes the system to face
plant later is probably already being recorded in the journal.

--
Chris Murphy