Re: Discourse - DeviceMapper causing corruption?

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 8:20 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Philip Rhoades <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Chris,
>>

>> On 2016-04-04 03:25, Chris Murphy wrote:

>>> That link doesn't work.
>>

>> Sorry, it looks like copying and pasting added a "2" to the link (the number
>> of clicks on the link on the forum) - it should be:
>>
>>   https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/18867
>>

>>> There was a thinp trim bug, but is been squashed on Fedora for over a
>>> year.
>>

>> No mention of "thinp" on the page . .
>

> It's using loop devices which is only the default in Docker because
> it's easy for them to setup out of the box, where the recommended

The other thing is Docker on loop device is slow.
http://www.projectatomic.io/blog/2015/06/notes-on-fedora-centos-and-docker-storage-drivers/

cat /usr/bin/docker-storage-setup

The gist is that you want a Volume Group with a decent chunk of free
extents. If you do that, then 'systemctl enable docker-storage-setup'
and then 'systemctl start docker-storage-setup' should do the trick.
You can check it with 'systemctl status docker-storage-setup' to see
if it worked or if there are errors listed.

If you can make semi-decent sense out of that bash script, and you
aren't already familiar with Btrfs, then you should use dmthin and the
docker-storage-setup script. The biggest gotcha is that lvs/lvdisplay
will show the resulting thin pool, but you can't use LVM tools to
manage it. It's strictly a device mapper thin pool. Fortunately, you
shouldn't have to directly interact with it though.

The main reason why I prefer Btrfs is simply because I know where the
bodies are buried, and I don't know where the landmines are in the
device mapper black box. But I'd only recommend Btrfs instead if you
are already somewhat familiar with it, and are comfortable with either
baby sitting the occasional need to balance, or adapting the openSUSE
scripts that can be set on a systemd timer for this purpose.

--
Chris Murphy