Re: philosophy

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/23/2016 04:31 PM, George N. White III wrote:
On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 7:57 PM, François Patte
<francois.patte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:francois.patte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Bonsoir,

    I am wondering what is in mind of packagers.... I have just fought for a
    couple of days to have  the printing service working on a fresh fc23
    install.

    1- cups-browser.service is not enabled by default. cups.service is
    enabled but you cannot add printers. ok! With a little work, you can
    find why you cannot add printer.

    2- Once this service is enabled, you can add your printer: your network
    printer is found without any problem, you can find the right driver in
    the default printer list.... So far so good! Then you test your install
    sending a test page and.... "filter failed"! What does that mean?

    3- googleling gives you tons of results and none of them give a
    solution: filter failed, filter failed.... What is this filter? driver?
    Is my printer too old and none of the new drivers will work? Must I buy
    a new printer?.....

    4- A light comes to you: "and if it was a firewall problem?"    Hurrah!
    You have found the solution....

    Will it be so difficult in the install process to enable the browser
    cups service at the same time the cups service is enabled (and it is
    enabled by default)? Is it so difficult to add an accept rule for port
    631 to iptables if cups service is enabled or, at least, send a warning
    when cups is enabled in order to remember to root to enable port 631 in
    iptables rules?

I had much the same experience this week with SL7 and apcupsd.

Fedora exists because there are many such issues that make the
difference between a robust distribution and a collection of packages.
When (nearly) all issues like this are solved you have RHEL..

The two of us really should file bug reports against cups and apcupsd
packages with the proposed firewall configuration details.  I would have
done this, but the system in question is off net which adds enough
extra hassle that I probably won't get around to filing a bug report.

This is a security issue. Automatically opening your firewall to permit
ipp and such could be inviting attacks from the outside world.
Obviously, if your machine is behind another firewall protecting you
from the big, bad Internet then yeah, there's really no problem with
opening up ipp and such on your _machine's_ firewall.

In my case, the SL7 machine is not on the internet at all.

In practice, many users will just disable the firewall completely
when they suspect it is blocking access to something they need
like a network printer.  Ideally installers would offer to configure
the firewall and do it only if the users says OK, but then you
create problems for unattended installs.

Adding an appropriate "/usr/lib/firewalld/services/XXXX.xml"
file does 90% of the heavy lifting.  Many users will only need to
run "sudo firewall-cmd --add-service=XXXX". If
we are trying to encourage users to keep firewalls
running, then we should insist that all packages which
require changes to the firewall provide the suggested
configuration file(s).

The gotcha here is that there is no way for dnf or the package
maintainers to know how _your_ network is structured. Consequently,
they should (and do) take the safe approach and don't touch the
firewall, assuming that you (as the sysadmin) will tweak it if you deem
it safe. Perhaps they should make it clearer that they don't touch your
firewall settings, but AFAIK no package tells you that.

George N. White III <aa056@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia