Re: DWA192 Network Connection Speed Slow

On 16/03/16 01:22, stan wrote:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 07:56:29 +1100
Stephen Morris <samorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]
I could compile the kernel to set the flag, as a wireless connection
speed jumping from 525Mbps on 2.4GHz to 1.3Gbps on 5GHz can be
significant, especially when streaming. I'll need to research how to
compile a kernel under Fedora, and what additional source packages I
need (I found some documentation on this on the net), as it is about
10 years since I last compiled a kernel.
I was just hoping it would be automatically done in the kernel, as
with the previous usb card I had, I found it a pain to have to
compile the driver every time the kernel changed and to have to go
back to the web site every so often to get an updated version of the
driver source because what I had didn't support the kernel I was
using.
On further thought, I think that you should open a bugzilla against the
kernel.  As you say above, this shouldn't require any action on your
part to just happen for your device.  That it does is probably a bug,
and should be fixed.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/
I might do that if I can figure out how to register again. I think the last time I tried to register there was supposed to be an email sent to me with all the necessary instructions on how to connect, but it never arrived. I've run a make xconfig on the source and I can't see any option relative to the context option other than an option to activate Channel Context Support. I also found some entries in this section for 802.11ac support, which seem to be aimed at PCI support rather than USB support which is what my adapter is, and it seems to be indicating (I could be way off the mark here) that these options would build an ATH10K module. If this is correct I don't understand why an ATH10K driver is not being assigned instead of the ATH9K driver, unless Linux doesn't properly support 802.11ac USB adapters. The necessary options relative to this adapter may be buried somewhere in the USB settings, but I haven't had time yet to search these. I could try a test compile to see if the Channel Context Option (which is only a checkbox) I have set makes any difference (I could also look in the config file to see what impact the option had there as well). The issues I'm having could be a Linux wide issue as I have the same issues under Ubuntu 15.10, but as the Ubuntu kernels are name differently to Fedora's at this stage I don't know if the two kernels being used are the same version.

regards,
Steve