Re: Patching qemu from fedora-virt-preview repo?

Also : No source RPM found for 2:qemu-2.5.0-8.fc23.x86_64
How is this possible that even with fedora-virt-preview-source i cannot get qemu srpm with yumdownloader?

So it shouldn't be a problem to use the fedora packages directly.  And
they would have the patches already.

Nope, the patches are not currently upstream and we don't have any release date.

I wonder if the qemu at virt-preview is a master package, that only
installs other packages.  I'm not a packager, but I think there are
packages that are sort of like virtual functions.

what exactly is a master package? i googled it and didn't find any explanation

So, because you already have 2.5.0, you don't actually need to update
in order to patch?

Yes that's exactly this.

I think at this point you've exhausted me as a resource, and need
someone more knowledgeable.  Because, what I would do would be to
download the fedora packages to the local machine (they're at 2.5.0-8),
and install them using the dnf -C upgrade command.  That way, you get
the patches without any need to mess around with source packages.  It
might mess up the virt-preview repo if you need it in future.  But if
your system is running without the qemu package from virt-preview, you
don't need it, and can get back in sync with fedora.  As a precaution,
you could get the binary packages for the qemu stuff you have installed
from virt-preview.  And if you have to downgrade because the fedora
packages don't work, you could just do a dnf -C downgrade with those
packages.

But it is possible I don't really understand your issue, and that might
be the wrong thing to do.

Finding someone with specific knowledge would be hard, i tried the vfio mailing list 4days ago but didn't get any answer and they're pretty much the only ones who will know this.
Actually i could remove everything from virt-preview if i knew what's needed for libvirt to run, will probably end up doing this anyway but i hoped for more insight, was a bit worry to break my system.