Re: hfsplus problems

On 03/04/2016 02:54 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
On 03/04/2016 01:24 PM, jd1008 wrote:

On 03/04/2016 01:59 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 03/04/2016 12:45 PM, jd1008 wrote:
but as you know, fsck runs automagically when the system detects
insertion
into the usb port a storage device, and attempts to mount it, and find
it was
not shutdown cleanly, and runs the fsck.
So, not sure about the "grip" :)

I don't think that this is what's happening, because the system
shouldn't be able to mount the drive until fsck is finished. It's
always best to run fsck when the partition isn't mounted, especially
if you expect it to need repair and I'd expect mount to fail if you
try to run mount something that's getting fscked.

I wonder if I should open a bug at bugzilla.redhat.com
and/or at bugzilla.kernel.org.

Next time this happens, find out if fsck is running.  Run this:

ps aux | grep fsck | grep -v grep

in a terminal (no need for root) and if you get no response except a
prompt, fsck isn't running somewhere.
Thanx Joe. I just replied to Rick. It was my fault, but my fault was
ably assisted by the
system not popping a banner saying the the device was not unmounted
cleanly. The message only
went into the message buffer, and never appears on the GUI file browser.
And unfortunately,
no automagic fsck was running.

I think the fsck clears the "checkedDate" field in the volume header
when it starts, indicating that an fsck is currently being done. When
the fsck completes, it fills in the field. So, if you yank it before
the fsck is complete, the field is clear.

When you plug it in again, the system sees that it's "not clean"
because the field is empty, but assumes that an fsck is in progress
because the field is indeed clear (and truthfully, there was one in
progress before you rudely interrupted it). Since it assumes there's
an fsck in progress, it doesn't launch a new one.

That's just a wild guess. Other filesystems do similar things (generally
by setting an "in-fsck" flag in the header when starting and clearing
it when done).
All well and good. But I wish there were a dismissable banner on the desktop notifying
the user of this.