Re: Virtual consoles (was desktops) on F23 server edition

On 02/26/2016 02:47 PM, CLOSE Dave wrote:
Rick Stevens wrote:

tty2-6 will not be started unless you try to use them (e.g. the getty
on tty2 will only start if you use ALT-F2 from a console screen or
CTRL-ALT-F2 from the desktop). Once they're started, however, they
continue to run.

I fully understand this. I now believe the problem is only indirectly
related to virtual consoles. If I start the machine in multi-user mode
(runlevel 3), the vconsoles work as expected. Only when running under X
(via startx or graphical mode) do they fail.

So my vconsoles are properly configured and work correctly outside of X.
While X is running, if I press CTRL-ALT-F2, for example, the F2 vconsole
does not start and the X display remains. However, X is stuck; keyboard
or mouse input does not work. Remote access via SSH continues to work
but the console is effectively dead. If I logout of X (without trying to
start any vconsole), the logout works but no login prompt appears.
Again, the console is effectively dead.

Wow. Uhm, since ssh works, have you used it to crawl around in the logs
to see if something weird is going on?

I've also seen some possibly related issues. I generally configure X so
that SHIFT-CTRL-TAB goes to the previous desktop. On F23, that
combination is ignored. CTRL-TAB to go to the next desktop works. I also
configure X so that a left mouse click outside any window should bring
up an application launcher. Again, that input is ignored. Right and
middle click actions work as expected. These problems occur even on
systems where the vconsoles and logout work correctly. Those systems
were upgraded to F23 rather than installed from scratch.

If it matters, all these systems are using KDE, not Gnome.

Oh, Ok. I'm running Xfce myself on a machine that was upgraded
F22->F23. Granted I'm using the default key bindings:

	CTRL-ALT-HOME to go back one workspace
	CTRL-ALT-END to go forward one workspace
	CTRL-ALT-<F2...F6> to get the available virtual consoles

I have noticed, however, that CTRL-ALT-1 through CTRL-ALT-5 do NOT
take me directly to the workspaces (I have five set up). I don't
typically use that feature anyway, which is why I never noticed before.

Hmmmmmmmmm........