Re: how to tell where it booted from

On 02/16/2016 08:15 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
At the GRUB menu, type

pager=1
set

Look for variable 'prefix=' this will be drive, partition, and path, to
the GRUB directory where its cfg and modules are found.

All right Chris!

While at the boot prompt I have no access to anything and had forgotten the "pager=1" bit so after getting into grub> it was hit or miss with huge text overflowing the screen. By habit I typed ls and don't know if what it did was what I expected but near the bottom of the screen was the prefix= line. Ahhh, serendipity.

I copied, with pencil and paper, the 102 character string, cursing the entire time the genius behind this madness, and rebooted.

A portion of that string, reformatted without slashes and hyphens, was located in one of /dev/disk/by-id's 107 entries and which turned out to be a sym-link to dm-16. dm-16 was claimed by a sym-link in /dev/mapper.

(Editors comment: this crap could only have been created by somebody with a cast of thousands and an unlimited budget and would have gotten an "F" at the Oscars.)

And there was a recognizable quatrain of stanzas minus any commenting other than the title. After editing and changing the module lines to refer to the current kernel (when booting Xen kernels and initrds are modules) I rebooted and... WTF? the original unmodified boot page.

So apparently grub.cfg is ?compiled? into some other secret location know only to the bootloader. I have the sinking feeling I have to run some grub2 magic spell to get the modified boot file into wherever it goes but am loathe to try anything. The reason I have a stripped down grub.cfg is because the last one generated for me was pushing 200K and the boot lines in each stanza had, so help me, nineteen swap files included in each one.

Now the question:

Is there a command that will take my simplified grub.cfg and install it without modifying it in any way and leave me with a bootable system? (please please please say yes).

Thank you everybody for helping get me this far and sorry for the novella.

Mike Wright

ps. extra points to whomever can point me to a simpler disk management system appropriate for somebody with a beer budget who can't afford that cast of thousands and is rapidly running out of time on the top side of the dirt?