Re: how to tell where it booted from

On 02/15/16 17:42, Mike Wright wrote:
<>

 Hi everybody,

> I have several large disks filled with experiments and multiboots.  I
> need to make changes to the current /boot/grub/grub.cfg but I have no
> idea which one I'm using or which one of the systems' grub config tools
> were used so I don't dare just grab any old one and use it
>
> I've searched through seven VolumeGroups full of LogicalVolumes and
> can't seem to find the one I'm using.  Also combed through partitions
> that are not part of LVM.
>

> Does the boot process leave any footprints behind telling where it
> booted from?

.
not sure if i understand question as you meant it, and after reading
replies, your question does not full define what you are asking.

from first reading, i am presuming that you want to know which
_grub_configuration_ of which installation the boot sector of boot drive
is loading.

when i first read your post, my first thought was that you have most
likely been using grub config from your first installation and all
additional installs are 'chained' to it.

from that something comes to mind is that you _might_ be using a /boot
partition that you are defining for all the additional installs. or
you are using a boot directory in / root of each install. or you are
using a /boot partition for each install.

having followed this thread and noting replies, Rick Stevens, and Tim
give replies that should give you answer if you apply both.

1st, following Tim's suggestion, boot into install that you first made.
open the grub config file, "/etc/default/grub". just above line with
1st line with "title", insert a new line as;

   title main boot

in next "title" line that shows what is booting, change to something like;

   title Fedora 23 @ sda 3 (4.3.5-300.fc23)

or where ever it is locate.

save the file, run 'update-grub' to update.

next, mount the other installs and do similar editing of "/etc/default/grub"
for fedora installs or what ever flavors you have, making the 1st line's
"title" line unique for each install.

reboot system and note what is shown in boot menu.

if you are booting with grub, you can edit "/boot/grub/grub.conf" and
apply same basics editing.

> Rapidly losing what little is left of my mind...

.
welcome to the club.

when ever someone tells me i am crazy, my reply is;

  thank you. i am glad you noticed.

much luck.

--
peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.7

tc,hago.