Re: Block connection in firewall -

Allegedly, on or about 12 February 2016, Rick Stevens sent:
> Carrying that further, set up the firewall to block all incoming
> traffic initially and use "DROP" as the target--NOT "REJECT". The
> reason to use DROP is that "REJECT" actually returns a response to a
> probe which essentially says "Yeah, there's a machine here, but I'm
> not interested in you". That makes you a target for DDOS or
> script-kiddie break-in attempts. "DROP" just drops the packets with no
> response so your machine appears to not be there at all.

That's a bit of a furphy.  You're a target whether you appear to be
there, or not.  Everyone gets hit, scattergun approach.  And you often
find that there's still some response to some kind of external probe,
even when you think you've firewalled yourself up to the hilt (e.g. ISPs
can usually identify what's connected to them, though I bamboozled them
when they couldn't detect my Fedora running laptop).  Equipment tends to
have fingerprints of some kind.  And many have an open configuration
port for the ISP to mess with.

There's a school of thought, since personal firewalling became a thing,
that it has always been better to reject.  Accidental connections to
your system get a proper error message, and they may stop banging away
at the wrong system, instead of trying to make connection.  It only
takes some admin to get one number wrong in their addressing to
accidentally connect to your system.

I notice that you've only mentioned IPv4 rules.  If you have any IPv6
connectivity, you want to firewall that, too.  I'll make a guess that
when IPv6 does actually hit big time (hardly anybody supports it here,
still; and my new ISP had it, then took it away), that it's going to
bring a whole slew of new firewall nightmares, as you don't have the
simple/easy NAT inside/outside demarcation point that IPv4 gave most
people.

Be cautious about blocking ICMP, you can cause some major breakages with
that.  That covers the communications about communications.

And I saw NTP being mentioned.  There's a chance your router may have a
time server, if you didn't want to dedicate a box to it.  Or you could
simply allow that protocol through the firewall, it's a low traffic one.
Possibly your ISP has one, and that (having the exact same time as them)
can be useful if you ever make bug reports to them.  While some people
place a low priority on using a time service, I find it a godsend to
never have to set computer clocks again.  I just wish I could get
automatic wall clocks, too, without having to go to the expense of GPS
ones (still over-priced, and the only option in my country without any
radio time servers, any more).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

If you don't understand how e-mail threading works, then follow the
instructions given by those who do, and don't argue with them.