Re: digital ocean setup-droplet basic tutorial/questions

Allegedly, on or about 15 January 2016, bruce sent:
> I want to setup a few (4-5) different test servers. I want the servers
> to be able to communicate with each other via name. I'd also like to
> be able to access one of the servers by name, to allow me to ssh into
> the box via name, as opposed to ipaddress.
>
> Everything I've seen suggests that I need a domainName, but I suspect
> that's due to most people wanting to setup webservers. If I'm setting
> up a box within DO's ip range, the box(es) shouldn't need an actual
> domain name should they?? I can understand that for a box to be
> accessed via/external to DO, it might need a domain name.

If the software isn't hardcoded to do a DNS lookup with a server, and
will use the system to find out the IP for a name, then you can put your
data into each computer's /etc/hosts file.  Normally, your computers
will consult the hosts file, then do a DNS lookup if the hosts file
didn't have an answer.  For a three computer system, this isn't too much
hard work.

But if they won't consult the hosts file, then you'll need a DNS server.
But most things won't require that much effort.  Though it does become
beneficial when you have quite a number of computers - you only have to
configure one central point for all your LAN computer's name resolution.

Populate your hosts file in the usual way.  With one line per associated
addresses, and space-separated data (ip-address domainname alias-names).

e.g.  192.168.1.2   two.localdomain  two

That gives you domain names for things that need a name with at least
one dot in it, and short names for things that don't need it (and your
own convenience).

If you don't want to go through registering a real domain name, then you
need to pick one that will not be in use on the internet.  It can cause
them problems, it can cause you problems, if you use a pre-existing
domain name.  You might think you've picked a unique one, but may
encounter problems browsing some website which has used it for some of
their embedded content, and this will not be obvious to you.

Off the top of my head, I can think of three that shouldn't cause you
problems.  Using "localdomain", as Fedora already uses.  Using "lan", as
a gazillion other LANs use.  Or making a subdomain of "example.com",
which is specifically set up for use with examples.

e.g. lan.example.com.

Having said that, it is very useful to have your own domain name.  You
make experiments like this much easier on yourself.  And you can give
yourself a permanent email address that's not tied to your ISP (should
you ever want to / need to leave it, you'd lose that address).  While
you might think your service provider may be around for ever, or may be
a good service, experience had taught me otherwise, even the big ones.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

I don't think it's pure coincidence that "officialdom" sounds the same
as "official dumb."