Re: Firefox and gmail troubles

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 10:47 AM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Rick Stevens <ricks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 12/30/2015 08:05 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>>
>>> It doesn't happen in the VM, which has Firefox 41. So I might try
>>> reverting to that version next...
>>>
>>> Another symptom is that things hang a lot. Even dnf will hang
>>> midstream downloading either a package or metadata. No error, no fail,
>>> no recovery, just indefinite stall. If I cancel it and just issue the
>>> same command, it always completes. And yet non-google sites load find
>>> in Firefox. So I can't tell if the dnf stall is related to the
>>> Firefox+google services stall.
>>

>> Are you on a wifi or wired connection? What you're describing sounds
>> an awful lot like a dropping wifi connection. If you are on wifi, check
>> the journals for problems relating that.
>
> Wired. The journal contains no messages at the time of these events,
> so if there's a state change that explains this, it's not a loggable
> one.

Keep in mind the baremetal system that it consistently happens on, has
a VM running in which it does not happen.

The other manifestations are google searches and account switches
hanging. For search, I usually use the URL field to do the search and
then hit return. The typical result is nearly instant but no results
are displayed, just the google search bar and under that the
qualifiers All Video News Maps Imaging Shopping, and then white space
where there should be search results but there are none. I click
reload icon on the right side of the URL field but instead of
reloading, the URL field is replaced by gray "Search or Enter Address"
as if nothing had previously been entered or loaded. If I try again
using the exact same steps, it works normally. It's a total crap
shoot.

For account switching, click on my gmail account icon on the upper
right, choose add account, yadda yadda and I get "Loading
whosit@xxxxxxxxxxxx..." with a progress bar, and 1/2 the time I do
this that progress bar just hangs at some point and then nothing. No
error, no recovery, total hang. Click reload, kablewy, nothing in the
URL field, it's just a new blank empty tab. It's so totally fakaked.

But I'll be dammed if anything like this happens with duck duck go, or
anything on fedoraproject.org, or Hacker News, or any other sites.
It's really just google stuff, and then dnf. But again I don't know
that those things are related as dnf is often hanging on a headless
Intel NUC also.

--
Chris Murphy