Re: No Bluetooth mouse in sddm before first login

On Tue, 2015-12-22 at 04:06 +0100, Andrej Podzimek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In Fedora 23, my Bluetooth mouse works fine in KDE. However, it
> doesn't work in sddm before the first user logs in. It works
> afterwards and keeps working even after the first (or second or
> whichever) user logs out.

I've got a similar problem with gdm.  Sometimes pairing with HID
devices (mouse & keyboard) doesn't work immediately.  Once they are
paired, they seem to stay paired.

My problem may or may not be the same as yours.  For me, they don't
always pair after login either.  Sometimes I've got to go into
bluetooth settings and toggle it on and off.

There's a completely different problem that bluetooth keyboards don't
work with luks (long before login) because bluetooth isn't running yet.

> The very first login without a mouse is quite an inconvenience. Any
> ideas what could be wrong? The same thing works perfectly fine in
> Arch -- the mouse works from the very beginning, once it's paired by
> a user in the KDE Bluetooth GUI, there's a bunch of metadata stored
> somewhere in /var about the pairing and the mouse can easily
> reestablish its connection, no matter if users are logged in or not.

They are saved in /var/lib/bluetooth/ in Fedora.  They are supposed to
pop up.  You need to be root to view them.

Bluetoothd runs as root, not a user, and should be running before the
login prompt, and should reconnect HID devices.

> What can be different on Fedora? SELinux? And why does the mouse
> magically start working as intended once the very first user logs in?
> Just abou tany debugging tips would be helpful. (Looking at
> .xsession-errors for sddm/root/user and logs from bluettothd, sddm
> and X.org didn't yield anything eye-opening thus far.)

You could be hitting the same bug in the bluetooth stack as me, where
sometimes the device thinks it has re-connected, but the laptop thinks
the connection is missing.

It could also be that sddm and bluetoothd aren't talking, or bluetoothd
isn't running until you've logged in.

Things to check:

If you have a device that supports it, check if the device is connected
on bootup, but your laptop thinks bluetooth is disconnected.  Some
devices have different blinking leds on connection.

Check if bluetoothd is running.  Alt-f2 if it works, otherwise enable
sshd and ssh in and check.